Saturday 6 June 2015

(005) Hobby Progress. Project 001: Imperial Knights (Part III)

I’ve been pretty good at putting in at least an hour a night of hobby work this week, although I don’t have a lot to show for it. I have finished the plastrons and codpieces of my two new Imperial Knights and made progress on their legs and bases. I’ve also spray undercoated a lot of the other sub-assemblies ready to begin painting.
 
 
 
I thought I’d pad out this entry with a few notes on how I have painted the pieces I’ve finished so far. I am painting my Knight Crusader blue to match my Space Marine Chapter, ‘The Unity Marines’. I chose the paint scheme of dark blue and gold because I liked the colour combination and I thought they would look unique. At the time Ultramarines were light blue with yellow trim. Boy does my chapter look a whole lot less unique now!
 
I achieve my particular shade of blue by base-coating with ‘Ultramarines Blue’ and coating that with a generous layer of ‘Blue Ink’. You can imagine my horror, when after a hiatus from the hobby, I returned to discover that Games Workshop had discontinued ‘Blue Ink’.
 
I found an online supplier who still had some stock and bought all four pots that he had left. I have since, thanks to the detective work of my friend Andy, found a company called ‘Coat d’arms’ who make a product called ‘135 Ink Wash – Blue’, which is functionally identical to the old Games Workshop ‘Blue Ink’.
 
As a side note, I recently ran out of the old Games Workshop ‘Ultramarines Blue’ paint and switched to the equivalent in the new Citadel Base range ‘Macragge Blue’. The colour is a close enough match, but I’ve found that none of the new paints, including the base range, cover as well as the old ones did. I have never before had to apply paint so thickly or in multiple coats to achieve a solid finish.
 
I then apply edge highlights of ‘Enchanted Blue’ and even finer highlights of ‘Ice Blue’ (I still have a lot of old paint to use up!).
 
I am painting my Knight Errant red, primarily because I am slightly bored of painting things blue. But also because I was inspired by the recent Adeptus Mechanicus releases. I can then use my Mechanicus aligned Knight as the basis for a future Mechanicus army or as an ally for my Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines (as Dark Mechanicus for the latter).
 
The red I am using is similar to the red I use for my Chaos Space Marine war-band ‘The Harbingers of Discord’. Although I have only finished painting less than a handful of models for my Chaos army, so I don’t really have a completely finalised colour scheme down yet.
 
I have painted the red armour on my knight with a basecoat of ‘Khorne Red’ over a ‘Chaos Black’ spray undercoat. I then apply a wash of ‘Agrax Earthshade’. Once that is dry I paint a coat of ‘Mephiston Red’ over the top, leaving gaps around the edges. I then apply a few edge highlights with ‘Troll Slayer Orange’.
 
The legs and mechanical parts are a lot simpler to paint. I just basecoat them with ‘Leadbelcher’ and pick out a few details with ‘Brazen Brass’. I then drown the parts in a wash of ‘Nuln Oil’ and highlight them with ‘Mithril Silver’ when they’re dry. They’re not finished yet though, the next step is to pick out the rivets with ‘Agrax Earthshade’.
 
 
 
Their bases are nearly finished though, I just need to do some touch-up work on the Knight Crusader’s base. I ran out of static grass and bought some more, but didn’t realise it came in different colours and I bought the wrong one! I picked up some more today so I can add a few patches tomorrow to tie it in to the Knight Errant’s base and the bases of my loyalist Space Marines.
 



Current Size of the Unpainted Legion: 248 models.
 
Currently Reading: ‘The Guns of Tanith’ by Dan Abnett.

No comments:

Post a Comment